In September, to celebrate its 30th anniversary, the Pickerington-Violet Township Historical Society invited community members to the museum for a “Taste of Olde Pickerington.” Visitors tasted free samples of five well-loved foods dished up by local residents along with stories and recipes. All the recipes had been previously printed over the years in cookbooks published by Peace United Methodist Church.
Mary Alice Good became part of the Good family in 1948 when she married. Her husband, Jerry, was the son of Arthur J. Good, owner of the Pickerington Creamery and Jerry worked there with his father. At one time, the Pickerington Creamery was the largest employer in Pickerington and the largest butter producer in the state. The creamery operated around the clock producing their Mayflower brand of butter as well as other dairy products. The Good family still owns the old creamery building at 80 W. Church Street and Mary Alice’s daughter-in-law makes the bean salad in the same kitchen she did.
Wilma Moore, and her husband Walter, were married in 1933. Walter, also known as “Butch”, had worked at the restaurant owned by Clarence England at 14 E. Columbus Street since he was 16 years old. Butch and Wilma bought the restaurant after they were married, and Moore’s Restaurant was the place to eat for more than two decades. Wilma was famous for her potato salad and pies. After selling the restaurant, they moved next door and operated Moore’s Pool Hall at 18 E. Columbus Street from 1956-1983. Wilma’s stove, that she used in the pool hall, is on display at the museum.
Fire departments are often known for their excellent cooking and Violet Township is no different. The firefighters here used the cookbooks published by Peace United Methodist Church for many of their dishes including the Ham Balls for which Assistant Chief Doug Barr was known. Jill Bosch submitted the recipe in memory of her grandmother, Mary Reed. After Doug Barr’s untimely death, the Violet Township Firefighters set up a scholarship fund in his memory and a current firefighter makes the ham balls in memory of Doug on special occasions.
Mildred Taylor was the wife of local businessman Emerson Taylor (son of Dr. W.B. Taylor and brother of Dr. Kenneth Taylor, long-time family doctors in Pickerington). The Taylor family donated land for parks, helped bring the Carnegie Library to town and started the Labor Day Homecoming Celebration. Emerson was president of the Pickerington Bank. Their grandson, Kenn, was Chief of the Violet Township Fire Department and their son, Gary, is on the board of the Pickerington-Violet Township Historical Society. Mildred’s Apple Crisp was a family favorite and is best served warm with ice cream.
Violet Huntwork taught at the school on East Street which was the only school in Pickerington at the time. She was the wife of Henry Huntwork, a local farmer east of town on SR 256 near the township line. Henry also worked for the county road maintenance and at his brother Roy Huntwork’s Service Station on the northeast corner of Columbus and Center Streets. Her brother-in-law, Brooks Huntwork, built the building at 14 E. Columbus Street and started the first restaurant at that location. Violet took her made-from-scratch chocolate cake to many community picnics over the years.